Sunday, July 29, 2012

Some Drawing Tips

Drawing is my other big hobby.  In fact, when I was a child, I wanted to be an artist.  But as I got older I realized that it wasn't something that was stable enough for me to use as a career.  Some people can deal with the ups and downs of inspiration for drawing and writing, but for me it's not so great.  That's why I got into Culinary Arts and Nutrition.  It's not only something I grew up with and love, but my love of food is mostly stable!  :)

But I've been on a drawing kick recently.  I'm gonna post some of my stuff here soon.

I wanted to give some tips when you're drawing that I've found very helpful.

The number one tip I can give anyone is to have reference pictures!
Usually when I draw I have a ton of them.  I have a whole folder of references.

If you have an idea that you wanna draw - go to google, or a search engine of your choice, and search for pictures related to it.  If you're drawing clothes, find pictures of similar clothes, textures, patterns, folds etc...

Anatomy is a big thing with drawing!  
You don't have to know the nitty gritty stuff, depending on what you're drawing, but you need to have a basic knowledge of anatomy to draw anything.  

Once again, have references!  

If you have a specific thing in mind and you can't find pictures, take them yourself!
I know, it sounds a little weird, but it really works!  If it's of flowers, go take pictures of flowers.  Animals?  Get your pets and take pictures.  If it's the human body, find a mirror and snap some pictures.  Even I've done it.


Try to draw something everyday.
Even if it's just doodling in a notepad during class.  My one art teacher actually encouraged us to do this and gave us extra credit!  Drawing even the littlest things is practice, and practice makes perfect!

I will repeat it.

Practice makes perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment